Food For Thought

Food For Thought
Food For Thought

Thursday, September 11, 2008

What's In A Name?

Recently I was asked the meaning of my name(Tassel). Honestly I did not know. However I knew the meaning of one of my middle names( Elaine) "light"

I thought about the significance of a name. The bible has a long list of names and their meanings.

http://www.christianityoasis.com/Keyword/BibleNames.htm

In the bible we also see where God changed the names of several of his servants. To name a few: Saul to Paul, Jacob to Israel, Abram to Abraham, Sarai to sarah.

Do you know the meaning of your name? Does the meaning of your name reflects whom you really are? I did a research on my name today and found out that it means a bunch of threads tied at one end and hanging loosely as an ornament. (Oxford American Dictionary) The same dictionary defined an ornament as a decorative object or detail: a person or thing that adds distinction. Eureka! My name Tassel means "Ornament of Distinction"

Like the tassels that are found everywhere adding beauty and charm to the wearers, objects or places , may my presence add beauty and charm to the peoples and places I meet and visit.

Since the meaning of a name has significant effect on one's demeanor and purpose, parents should carfully and thoughtfully select the names for their precious offsprings.